Snyder throws herself to Slippery Rock

Provided by Kamryn

Senior Kamryn Snyder is goalie for soccer in the fall and throws javelin, discus and shotput for track and field in the spring.

Kamryn said she started playing soccer when she was six-years-old and has continued to play until this year as a part of the varsity team. She said she joined track her freshman year of high school, adding that track is her favorite sport.

“I love track. Soccer is fun and all, but I feel so much better when I only have to worry about myself,” Kamryn said.

Kamryn said she placed fourth in Districts for shotput her freshman year. She added that she also placed second in shotput and third in discus her sophomore year. Last year, Kamryn said she placed first in shotput. Her junior year in soccer, she received the Pennsylvania Heartland Athletic Conference (PHAC) second team all-star keeper award, she added.

Kamryn said she plans to continue throwing in college at Slippery Rock University, adding that her career goal is to become a registered nurse.

According to Kamryn, her biggest inspiration is any Olympic athlete. “They all work so hard for what they want and will stop at nothing until they have accomplished their goal,” she said. She added she admires how they fight no matter what and never give up.

Kamryn said her second biggest inspiration is everyone who pushed her to be her best, from her parents, to all of her coaches she has had over the years.

She said her third inspiration is Jordan Geist, a shotput thrower from Saxonburg, Pa. who is currently attending the University of Arizona. Kamryn added that during her freshman year, she saw him throw shotput at the district meet where he threw 60 feet, which caused the district advisors to make the shotput pit longer.

Kamryn said her superstitions for track season include using the same shotput and disc every meet. She added her most memorable moment in sports happened in soccer her sophomore year, when she got kicked in the face during a game against Warrior Run and had to get stitches.

Kamryn said the toughest challenge she has had to overcome was dislocating her knee cap while throwing. She said she had to throw shotput with her dislocated kneecap and had the flu at the same time.

Athletic Director Mr. Rod Harris, who is also the soccer and track and field coach, said he has been a part of Kamryn’s athletic career for six years. He added he views Kamryn as a great athlete who is willing to work hard to gain success for herself and the team. “My advice [to her] would be to work harder than before and not let pain or mental exhaustion stand in her way,” added Mr. Harris.

Kamryn said that her advice to her fellow teammates who are underclassmen is, “Don’t quit, especially when you think times are rough. There will be bad times in your life. These bad times define us and make the good times so much better,” Kamryn said.