Minium marches into the Guard

Senior Ethan Minium has been accepted into the Army National Guard this year. 

According to Ethan, he signed up for the National Guard on Nov. 24, 2021 at Harrisburg’s Military Entrance Progressing Station after being offered the opportunity when troops came looking for volunteers. He said that his first contract is six years, and he doesn’t know if he’ll stay any longer than that.  

According to Ethan, he has already done basic training. He said that he trains once a month over weekends. 

Ethan added that he wants to go because there are lots of college benefits that the National Guard offers. He also said that a lot of his family went into the armed forces as well. 

“I’ve been wanting to join for basically a long time,” said Ethan.  

After the National Guard, Ethan said that he plans to get into mechanics. Ethan currently works at Steve Shannon Tire, a tire and auto repair shop in Lewisburg after school. In addition to that, he plays football and said he likes to hunt in his spare time. 

Ethan believes that anyone who wants to join the Army should do it. 

According to Auto Shop Teacher Mr. Nathan Persing, he has had Ethan as a student for four years. He said that this is Ethan’s third year of being in the auto shop. 

“He started with me in small engines and car care and has worked up as a student in the auto shop,” added Mr. Persing.  

Despite not having one particular favorite memory of Ethan’s projects over his high-school career, Mr. Persing said that Ethan is a dedicated student who had a natural talent as a CTE student. 

“I don’t have a memory that really sticks out, but I do remember the little stuff like Ethan doing oil changes and getting it all over his clothes, or him going through the learning process that every student goes through,” said Mr. Persing. 

Mr. Persing added that once Ethan’s done with the Army, he plans to attend the University of Northwestern Ohio to do diesel technology or something automotive-related.