Safe2Say saves lives

Provided by Brelynn McCarty

Provided by Brelynn McCarty

Safe2Say, Pennsylvania’s youth violence prevention program, could be and has been a large help to our school.

Safe2Say launched in early 2019. The website/app is available to students if they wish to report anonymous tips to the school for a range of concerns. These concerns can include threats, abuse, assault, suicidal intentions, depression, anxiety, bullying, gun violence, harassment, social isolation and reckless behavior.

Though some believe the app is ineffective and even a joke, the Safe2Say app can be a very useful tool for administrators to prevent possible harm towards students. It can also allow students to be heard if they are struggling or being harmed in some way, possibly saving them from a life-threatening situation.

While some students could use it maliciously, Safe2Say provides officials a reliable and easily accessible source of information that can prevent harmful situations. According to High School Principal Mr. Andrew Rantz, the program has prevented serious situations, but he was not able to disclose specific details due to privacy/confidentiality laws.

Administrators can take the tips uploaded to Safe2Say and use them to determine if they need to intervene in a situation. For example, students may upload a tip saying they are thinking of self-harming or are going to harm others. This tip would be processed and given to local authorities, who would then contact the tipster or who they believe to be in danger.

Another example would be a tip about someone who threatened to attack the school in some way. Administrators could take steps necessary to prepare for a situation depending on the given information and inform the public before a situation occurs. The window of time the tip has given to administrators has the potential to prevent a serious situation from becoming an unfortunate tragedy. This tip is immediately sent to administrators’ phones and can be responded to on the spot.

Students can use the website to find help for themselves if they are feeling helpless, worthless or are considering suicide. Administrators or police can check up on the student and give them the help they need. There are times where students can’t tell someone in person that they are struggling, so having an outlet to do so could save students from life-threatening decisions.

Safe2Say can also be used as a discreet way for a student to report abuse they may be experiencing and can allow them to formulate their thoughts in a way others can understand. Just like someone dealing with mental issues, victims of abuse may find it difficult to tell someone in person what is happening. Being able to sit down and type out everything that is happening to them can be a much easier outlet for victims. It will also allow authorities to assist victims in a manner that is quick and efficient.

Despite those that do not take this program seriously, use it to waste resources or submit false reports, Safe2Say is a program that is worth having if it means any lives can be saved.