Masks make a comeback

Going into the 2021 school year, masks for Milton students and staff were optional. However as of Sept. 7, the Pa. Department of Health mandated face coverings for all students and staff at schools statewide.

According to the Pa. Department of Education Masks/ Face Coverings in School Entities document, all children ages two or older, must have a mask on indoors unless the individual has a medical or mental health condition or disability that prevents them from wearing a face mask.

Milton is enforcing the new 2021 mask mandate. To enforce the mask rules, they posted visible signs all around the school, said Co- Principal Andrew Rantz. Every day, teachers stand outside giving students masks that need one, he added.

Mr. Rantz said his goal is to follow the mandate without punishing the students.

He said he was not able to discuss information about any exemptions because of federal health information privacy laws (HIPPA). Exemption forms are available on the COVID-19 Dash Board section on the district website. Students must have a legitimate medical concern and a valid reason, Mr. Rantz said.

According to Mr. Rantz, the rules are the same as last year with masks being worn at all times in the building. The only exceptions are when students are doing physical activities while maintaining social distance, such as during mask breaks or eating, he added. Masks do not have to be worn outside, he said.

Mr. Rantz said mask break rules are the same as last year as well, adding that teachers are encouraged to give mask breaks every block to their students.

Mr. Rantz said he was unsure if the cases have gone down or since the masks have been enforced at Milton. He said White Deer Principal Mr. Jeremy Stetler is in charge of the COVID- 19 Dash Board on the Milton website. The dashboard resets in real time, he added.

As for disciplining students who refuse to wear their masks, that has not been much of an issue, Mr. Rantz said. Everyone has been pretty good at wearing them, he added

However, they do handle the discipline as any other case of disobedience, he said, adding that his goal is not to penalize anyone.

“We all need reminders,” said Mr. Rantz.

According to Mr. Rantz, masks on the bus have not been an issue for Milton High School students. He has not been made aware of any problems, he added. Masks have been required on school transportation all year by the district’s Health and Safety Plan.

“School officials who fail to adhere to the order could lose the protection of sovereign immunity and may personally face lawsuits from those who may be affected by any officials attempt to ignore the order,” according to the Pa. Department of Health Mask Ordering document, on the school website.

Even after school activities require masks, according to the order.

According to the Pa.  Department of Health document: “In view of this serious concern for our nation’s children, the CDC has issued a strong recommendation for masking of all persons, teachers, students and staff, within the nation’s schools, regardless of vaccination status, to create a multilayered approach for fighting COVID- 19 and to keep our schools open for in-person education.”