Plan to promote positive behavior

Plan to promote positive behavior

PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports) is a national program to support good behavior. Though it has been used previously at the elementary and middle school, it is now beginning at the Milton High School.

The high school’s PBIS committee includes teachers Ms. Maggie Gola, Ms. Angela Davis, Ms. Allison Pauling, Ms. Angela Ranck, Ms. Lauren Richie, Ms. Casie Baker, Ms. Erin Quartman, Ms. Julie Bowman, Ms. Marissa Jacobs, Mr. Nicholas Vega, Social Worker Ms. Catherine Temple, Guidance Counselor Ms. Leslie Robinson and Co-Principal Mr. Michael Bergey.

The PBIS committee began at the high school because students had it before in the middle school, and the PBIS committee now wants to bring it to the high school, said Ms. Gola. She added that she thinks it will encourage students to do better while having fun activities to do.

According to Ms. Gola, some drawbacks are the “preconceived notions” that students had about the program from elementary school. Among the complaints, Ms. Gola said that students have told her it is going to be a waste of time, and the prizes aren’t going to be worth it.

Ms. Bowman added that the high school’s version is “very, very similar” to the middle school program. Milton High School is just in the beginning, so until teachers and students are used to it, it may seem the same, she added.

The whole idea the teachers have is to improve student behavior in school, said Ms. Gola. She added that students will have the opportunity to earn points online, which promotes “respect, responsibility and/or safety.”

Ms. Gola said, students can receive gifts/rewards with the points. Rewards include scrunchies, gift cards, t-shirts and hoodies, she added. Ms. Bowman said that students may also earn prom tickets, sports tickets or pencils. There will be a certain time, day or week that students can go get their rewards, added Ms. Bowman.

Ms. Gola said students receive points for good behavior–  “Modeling what a super student should be, being interactive.” Ms. Bowman added that the way students can earn points could be changed based on a survey taken by students to know how they are feeling.

Teachers can award points to students by using their phones to scan the students’ ID badges. This will allow them to award points anywhere, according to Ms. Bowman.

Ms. Gola added that teachers are going to continue PBIS as long as they can.