New CTE program puts students on the job

The Diversified Occupations Career and Technical Education program (CTE) is now being offered to students at Milton Area High School, said Ms. Amanda Smith-Derck, Diversified Occupations and Early Childhood Education Program Instructor.

The students enrolled in the Diversified Occupations program work during the school week except for Wednesdays, said Ms. Smith-Derck. She added that they have to attend her Employability Skills class every Wednesday.

Students are given a list of possible jobs related to their future career, said Ms.Smith-Derck. She added that the students have to contact a potential workplace to apply.

When students obtain a job, the employer agrees to obtain their clearances and train the students in that field, said Ms. Smith-Derck.

Only seniors can be enrolled in this CTE program, said Ms. Smith-Derck. She added that they need to work at least 15 hours a week.

According to Ms.Smith-Derck, there are currently three seniors enrolled in the Diversified Occupations CTE program: Quadir Herbert, Marissa Leitzel and Katlyn Weaver.

Quadir said that he works four to five days a week as a Pharmacy Technician Assistant. He said that he works at Custom Care, a pharmacy in Milton. Quadir added that his future career plans are to major in pharmaceutical science and then become a medicinal chemist.

Quadir said that the program has taught him to pay attention to small details. He added that he has learned to work with all types of people.

“The program gives me a sort of free trial for what I want to do in my future,” said Quadir. He added that he would suggest the Diversified Occupations program to other students.

“You have to do your work out of school,” said Quadir. He added that if you play sports it can be hard to finish your work.

Marissa works at Gable House Bakery as a Baking Assistant. Katlyn works at Nottingham Village as a Health Care Aide.

Ms. Smith-Derck said that the program is free to students, who are actually making money.

“This program is a great opportunity for students to figure out what future career they would want,” she said.

Ms. Smith-Derk said she hopes that next year she has at least ten students enrolled in the program. She added that any current juniors can contact her about the program through her email.