Panthers pressed for parking

Milton Area High School lost a number of parking spaces in both the staff and student parking lots due to the stadium construction project.

According to High School Secretary Ms. Monica Johnson, who coordinates parking, there are normally 145 student parking spaces. There were only 83 available at the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, and they have all been filled, she added.

The faculty and staff lost about 50 parking spaces, said Ms. Johnson. Those cars were moved to the middle school parking lot, she added.

“They [construction crew] needed storage for their supplies and equipment. That has taken up some of the parking in the back-parking lot and the middle of the school for staff and faculty parking,” said Ms. Johnson.

Ms. Johnson said they are trying to open more spots for students as construction equipment leaves. Hopefully by spring, the full capacity of parking will be available, she added.

The students have been reacting positively to the parking spot shortage, said Ms. Johnson. She added that they have been understanding about the situation.

According to Ms. Johnson, students do not have assigned parking spaces this year. Students must park in the student parking area with a parking pass in their rear-view mirror, she added.

She said because of the shortage of parking spaces, part-time students park in parent parking spaces. It is not a problem since the students leave before 2 p.m., she added.

Students are not permitted to park on school grounds without a parking pass, said Ms. Johnson. If a student were to park without a parking pass they will get a warning. After three warnings, cars can be towed at the discretion of Co-Principal Mr. Michael Bergey, she added.

Junior Jessica Morgan does not have a parking pass. Jessica said she parks off campus by the softball field. If she cannot park at the field, she parks in the Weis Markets parking lot.

According to Jessica, when she had tried to get a school parking pass she was told that there were no more available.

“Not having a pass has made it harder to get to school on time because there is never a real guarantee of being able to park in a good spot,” said Jessica. “I’ve been borderline late many times because of it.”

She said if she hurries, she can get to the back doors of the middle school from the softball field in about three to four minutes, depending on traffic in the morning.

At the beginning of the year, the school had a meeting explaining that there were only 83 parking passes available and applications were handled as first come first serve, said Ms. Johnson. She said that after the meeting, there were about eight to ten parking spaces that were not filled. They have since been filled by students who applied for parking passes, added Ms. Johnson.

The process of getting a parking pass has not changed from previous years, she said.

According to Ms. Johnson, there is not a waiting list for parking spaces at this time.

“We will take a look at the construction mid-year and see if we are able to come up with more student parking spaces at that time,” said Ms. Johnson.