Paper or Screen? Students, teachers discuss thier preferences

Screenshot by Jayden Wood

As the school moved toward onetoone computer devices a few years ago, many assignments were converted to digital formats. Despite the change, which format do students and teachers preferThe Panther Press polled students about which format they prefer math assignments, essays, and quizzes.  

About 74 percent of 140 who responded said that they think doing essays online is easier. I make less errors, said Freshman Skylie Bobb. 

The other 26 percent said they like paper copies for an essay, including Freshman Zoe Letteer. “Its just easier overall; you’re not worrying about losing files and it’s not saving everything, she explained. 

About 61 percent chose online for a quiz, with the rest preferring paper. Freshman Brayden Munn, who prefers to do a paper copy, said “it’s easier to keep up with for me.”  

Freshman Camden Weaver disagreed.It’s easier to understand the questions” when doing a quiz on the computer, he said.  

About 77 percent said that they would like paper copies for a math assignment. It is easier to show your work, said Freshman Autumn Wolfgang. 

Freshman Aliana Ayala said she prefers digital because of it involving less paper to keep track of.  

Spanish Teacher Ms. Christine Rauch explained her preferences. 

I would prefer paper copies for all of them. It is easier to read and give feedback to students this way. I am also able to better keep track of paper and limit the amount of cheating that occurs, because of our virtual option for students. However, I do all things digitally this school year,” said Ms. Rauch.