Brodey kicks his way to college

Senior Brodey Scoggins is a member of Milton’s Boys soccer and boys tennis teams.

According to Brodey, he started playing soccer when he was about six years old. He has played tennis since his freshman year, he added.

Brodey, who is a forward on the soccer team, has 14 career goals and 13 career assists. He said that sports have majorly impacted his life and take up about 80 percent of his time.

According to Brodey, he plays sports almost every day of the whole year. “This made me naturally more competitive and motivated to work harder,” he added.

The Milton Boys soccer team has made it to Districts the past two years. He said that the team was trying for Districts again this year. He added that the team broke a school record when they went for the second round at Districts in his sophomore year.

Brodey said he earned varsity letters for both sports every year of high school so far. He got two tri-athlete awards for playing soccer, bowling and tennis in his freshman and junior year, he added.

Brodey said that the hardest thing physically to overcome while playing sports was spraining his ankle because he had to stay out for two weeks. He said that during his soccer pre-season this year, he sprained it at a clinic in Bloomsburg. He added that the hardest thing to overcome mentally is every time his team loses.

However, Brodey said that the best feeling at a game is any time he scores or gets an assist.

According to Brodey, one of his biggest influences is Muhammad Ali, the professional boxer. Ali was a very motivated athlete and was very confident in his athletic abilities, he added.

Brodey said that one of his game day rituals for soccer is to talk with his teammates and coaches to get into the right mindset. Before a tennis match, Brodey added that he likes to listen to music to prepare.

Brodey said that he plans to attend either Misericordia University or Lycoming University to major in engineering and will continue playing soccer. He added that he has been informed about scholarships, but has not officially received any yet.

Boys Soccer Coach Mr. Eric Yoder said that Brodey has changed a lot throughout his high school soccer career. Brodey was a quiet freshman and has changed into a strong and athletic senior, added Coach Yoder.

According to Coach Yoder, Brodey’s leadership makes him stand out on the soccer team. “He really is amazing with all of the underclassmen, pushing them to get better but also treating them with respect,” said Coach Yoder.

Brodey has some advice for future athletes: “Never stay down on yourself for too long. It’s ok to be sad about a loss, but you always got to keep moving.”