Yohey is the new physics teacher

Photo by Emily Nicholas

New Physics Teacher Mr. Lee Garrett Yohey said he enjoys it most when his students are interested in what they are learning and involved with class discussions.

This semester, Mr. Yohey said he teaches Physics, a class made up of mostly juniors but with some sophomores and seniors. He added that he also teaches eighth grade STEM, and next semester he will teach part of Environmental Science.

He said a challenge he had to overcome was getting everything built for his class as he makes his own materials and worksheets. According to Mr.Yohey, his favorite part of his job is when students are interested and involved in what they are learning. He said his least favorite part of his job is when he has to write someone up. “I want to help you learn if I can; it’s not the part I want to focus on,” he added.

Junior Sarah Aikey said her favorite thing about Mr. Yohey is his teaching and how engaged he is with his students. She said his teaching style is very unique and that he mixes hands on work with regular paperwork.

“He’s very into his work, and I feel like that makes his students want to learn more,” she added.

Mr. Yohey said he graduated from Columbia County Christian School in Buckhorn in 2012. He added he graduated from Grove City College with his bachelors in Physics in 2016 and graduated from Bloomsburg University with his masters in Curriculum and Instruction in 2018.

According to Mr. Yohey, he wanted to become a teacher because he became a teacher’s assistant for a math class when he was an undergrad and loved it. He said before he worked at Milton, he was a substitute at many schools and taught one quarter of a middle school computer science class at his alma mater.

“I love the area and wanted to stay somewhere local,” said Mr.Yohey of his decision to take the job at Milton. He added he enjoys the block scheduling at Milton High School instead of the 40-minute classes, and described his experience here so far as positive.

According to Mr. Yohey, the only career he ever wanted to pursue besides being a teacher was when he was four and wanted to become a paleontologist. Mr. Yohey said his hobbies include reading, playing board games and art.