Dr. Bickhart shines as new superintendent

Dr. John Bickhart joined Dr. Cathy Keegan as co-superintendent on July 5 and officially took the reigns of the district on Sept 14.

Dr. Bickhart said that he has worked in administration for 14 years and was a teacher for seven. He said that he went to college to get his bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education at Susquehanna University in 2001 and went back for his master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction at Bloomsburg University in 2008. He added that he earned his doctorate at Immaculata University in 2018.

He said that taking the position of superintendent just felt right for him.

“I have really enjoyed decision making and being in this role gives me that ultimate opportunity,” he said.  He added that he has lived in Milton for 17 years.

Dr. Bickhart said that so far, he has enjoyed working with the staff and meeting with students the most. Although he said that this was fun, he added that his transition into the position has been difficult in some ways.

He said that some people have been uneasy about a different person in leadership, and it’s been hard to gain people’s trust. “Anytime there’s a change in leadership I think people become a little uneasy, only because it’s a different person from what they’re used to,” he said.

Dr. Bickhart said that Dr. Keegan really supported him and helped him through some of the growing pains during the transition of leadership. He said that working with Dr. Keegan gave him a unique opportunity, and she provided him with insight. He added that she also was a great person to bounce ideas off of.

“It was a unique opportunity, and what was great about it was that it gave me insight and someone to talk things through with,” he said.

Dr. Bickhart said that his days have been extremely busy, and no two days have been alike. He said that in the future, he anticipates being in and out of the district and helping wherever he can.

He also added that the biggest challenges he anticipates having as superintendent are financial challenges and creating a budget. “The biggest thing we all struggle with is financial aspects,” he said.

He added that during his time as superintendent, he would like to improve the culture around the school and make students and staff excited to come here each day. He said that he would like to do things that make everyone feel like they belong at the high school.

He added that he would also like to bring back the human connection was lacking during the pandemic. He said that the ability for people to collaborate and connect as well as feel like they’re part of something special is something he would like to strengthen.

According to Dr. Bickhart, outside of school he enjoys spending time with his wife and traveling. He said he also likes golfing and going to the beach. He said one of his guilty pleasures is watching Hallmark Christmas movies because of the positive messages in each one.

Ryan said that one of his favorite memories with his dad is visiting Notre Dame together. He said that they watched a football game together and walked around campus.